There are several instances in which you may need an employment certificate letter from your employer. It indicates and authenticates an employee’s employment record, whether the employee is currently employed or has left the organization and has become a former employee.
Knowing how to write a request letter for an employment certificate is essential because it is one of many large organizations’ requirements.
This article will help you compose your own request letter for employment certificate by providing information on how to write one, as well as a sample and template to serve as a guide.
What is a Request Letter for an Employment Certificate?
A request letter for an employment certificate is written by an employee to the employer in order to obtain a certificate proving employment. This document is required for a variety of reasons, including applying for a loan, credit card, obtaining a visa or work permit, or opening an account.
Employees in an organization will always require a certificate of employment as proof that they are employed and have a source of income. Every employee has the right to request a certificate of employment when working for a company that provides his or her services.
Steps to Write a Request Letter for Employment Certificate
If you know the person to whom you are writing, address them by name. It is acceptable to write “to whom it may concern” if you do not know the recipient’s name.
After the salutation, the first sentence should be a brief introduction of who you are and why you are writing.
- Give specifics about what you need
This is an essential letter for a critical purpose. The letter must include important information such as your designation, the length of time you have worked for the organization, your employee number, your salary, and the name of your supervisor. The writer of the letter should include these details to assist the recipient when issuing the certificate.
- Mention when you expect to receive the certificate
You should also mention when you expect to receive the employment certificate.
- Follow Up
If you do not receive the certificate within the time frame you expected, you can follow up. Following up is necessary in case the letter did not reach the recipient or if the recipient became distracted and forgot about it.
What to Include in a Request Letter for an Employment Certificate?
It is common practice to include the following information in the request letter:
- Addressing your request letter to the person, most likely your former HR director or the person in charge of employee records in the company. Use “to whom it may concern.” if there is no such person in the company.
- Briefly describe your employment history with the company, including position, time, contract duration, contract type, record number, contract number, and so on. These details are critical when dealing with large corporations because they have thousands of employees, and it is not always easy to track down former employees. If your family name has changed in the meantime, don’t forget to include your given name.
- Express your request in a separate paragraph, explaining why you require an employment certificate.
- Provide a timeframe for your request.
Sample and Template
To help you out in crafting your own request letter, here is a sample and template for requesting an employee certificate
Request Letter for Employment Certificate Template
[City, ZIP Code]
[Recipient’s name or HR Representative]
[City, ZIP Code]
Dear [Recipient’s name],
I hope this letter finds you in good health. Between 2011 and 2018, I worked as a logistics assistant for the [Company]. I left the company because the position I had held for the past eight years was eliminated.
I’ve been looking for a new job ever since, and now [Company] has offered me a similar position in their company. I’m writing to request an employment certificate because they need to verify my employment history.
As I previously stated, I worked as a [job position] and had a regular contract with the company, as documented in your records under [record number] . My employee ID was [employee number ID].
I would appreciate it if you could issue this employment certificate by Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:45:50 +0000.
Thank you very much.
Request Letter for Employment Certificate Sample
Acropolis Blk 123
January 25, 2020
Plaka Blk 456
Dear Ms. Schwenn,
I hope this letter finds you in good health. Between 2011 and 2018, I worked as a logistic assistant for the Lollie Pop Company. I left the company because the position I had held for the past eight years was eliminated.
I’ve been looking for a new job ever since, and now POPSIE INC. has offered me a similar position in their company. I’m writing to request an employment certificate because they need to verify my employment history.
As I previously stated, I worked as a logistic assistant and had a regular contract with the company, as documented in your records under Number 00-11-5324-ECR-55. 20045673 was my employee number.
I would appreciate it if you could issue this employment certificate by February 1st, 2020.
Thank you very much.
- Request Letter for Bank Statement
- Request Letter for Business
- Request Letter for Financial Assistance
- Request Letter for Appointment
- Being able to write a request letter for an employment certificate is important since it is one of the requirements of many large organizations.
- An employee writes a request letter for an employment certificate to the employer in order to get a certificate confirming employment.
- In writing a request letter for an employment certificate, you must indicate specifics about what you need.
- Following up is required if the letter failed to reach the recipient or if the recipient became disturbed and forgot about it.