Increasing your credit limit is just another opportunity to overspend after you’ve got your bank statement, right? No, not always. In fact, if you manage your credit wisely, increasing your credit limit can have a number of benefits.
A request for an increase in your credit limit can help you improve your utilization ratio and raise your credit score. When you have been continually making on-time payments and have no recent flaws on your credit report, now is the time to make this request.
In this article, we will discuss what a credit limit increase request letter is, how to write one, and provide an example and template to serve as a guide.
What is a Request Letter for Credit Limit Increase?
A Credit Limit Increase Request Letter is a formal way of asking your creditor for a credit limit increase. This type of letter is important because it contributes to the improvement of your credit score and the development of your credit history.
When you request an increase in your credit limit, your creditor will look over your credit history and personal finances. Your credit limit will be increased if they approve the request. This can be an excellent way to strengthen your financial safety net and give yourself some breathing space in the event of an emergency.
Guidelines in Writing a Request Letter for Credit Limit Increase
- When you need to increase your credit limit, you should write a letter. Explain why you require more credit. Tell the creditor about your previous track record. Your letter’s tone should be formal, and the language should be clear and objective.
- Get right to the point and request an increase in your credit limit from your creditor.
- Explain why you require a higher credit limit.
- Tell them about your perfectly clean previous track record.
- Request a response from the creditor.
Writing Tips in Crafting a Request Letter for Credit Limit Increase
Here are a few pointers to consider when writing a letter that will persuade the reader to accept your request.
- Indicate your reason: There must be some reason why you are asking the recipient to increase the credit limit. It is essential to state the reason. The bank will consider increasing a person’s credit limit if his track record of returning money is good and he has a legitimate reason to request it.
- Write objectively: It is important to remember that you are writing to a bank manager who is not a friend or relative. Therefore, your letter should be formal. Formal letters are usually more objective, and they communicate all of the information in such a way that it reaches the intended person while conveying the true meaning in the shortest amount of time.
- Keep it on point: Some people believe in writing the context of the request they intend to make. They don’t get right to the point. This act can irritate the recipient. Thus, when requesting a credit limit increase, you should be direct and to the point.
- Show your positive side: There is a chance that the bank overlooked your excellent credit history. Tell them about it and earn some high marks.
Things to Consider Before Requesting a Credit Limit Increase
Before requesting a credit limit increase, you should consider a few factors. When requesting a credit limit increase, you should be particularly careful of the following:
If you’ve recently lost a job or haven’t made your monthly payments on time, it might be a good idea to postpone your application until you’re in good shape.
- Hard pull
A request to increase your credit limit may result in a hard inquiry on your credit report. This may have a negative impact on your credit score, especially if you have recently inquired about loans or other lines of credit.
Consider things like your credit score, credit history, payment history, and so on.
Sample and Template
Here’s an example and template of request letters for credit limit increase to help you draft your own letter.
Request Letter for Credit Limit Increase Template
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
Dear [Recipient’s name],
I’d like to request that my credit limit be increased from $2,000 to $3,000. I’ll be on business trips soon and will need to be financially flexible during this time. With my monthly income and good payment history, I am confident that this will not be difficult to grant. However, if you require any additional documentation or information, please contact me at 430-893-1234. Thank you very much.
Request Letter for Credit Limit Increase Example
26 Fox Holler Rd.
Jackson, Ohio 23456
January 12, 2020
ABC Credits Inc.
91 Wilshire Way
Beverly Hills, CA 89023
Subject: Request for Credit Limit Increase
Dear Ms. Hannah Smith,
I’ve been an ABC Credit Inc. customer for a long time. I had a $500 limit when I first opened my account in 2019. I’ve never asked for raises and have never come close to exceeding my credit limit. We recently purchased a home that requires extensive renovations. Because of the high costs of these ventures, I am requesting an increase in my credit line on my account.
My account currently has a balance of $231. I’d like to see an increase of around $2,000. This money will be used to assist in the installation of a new furnace system in my home. My credit card interest rate is lower than the store’s financing interest rate.
Because of my previous success, I intend to continue doing business with your credit card company in the future.
You can always count on me to pay my bills on time and to stay within my credit limit.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Request Letter for Employment Certificate
- Request Letter for Business
- Request Letter for Financial Assistance
- Request Letter for Appointment
- A credit limit increase request can help you improve your credit utilization and raise your credit history.
- In writing your request letter, indicate your reason why you need an increase in your credit limit.
- Get straight to the point and ask your creditor for an increase in your credit limit.
- Keep your letter in a positive tone.