Want to write a leave of absence for traveling? Vacations allow employees to relax and recharge. You may return from a vacation more motivated and productive. However, before you plan a trip, many employers require a request for approval and appreciate advance notice of your plans.
In this article, we will go over what a vacation leave is, when and how to write one including its examples and templates of it.
What Is A Leave Of Absence Letter For Vacation?
A vacation leave letter is a written request from an employee to their employer for permission to take time off. It outlines the employee’s planned days off as well as their coverage plan at work. Vacation leave letters can be addressed to your direct supervisor or your company’s human resources department.
Furthermore, A letter of vacation approval is regarded as an act of generosity on the part of the employer because he understands the situation that his employee is in. Therefore, he has accepted a leave of absence from his position for a set period of time.
When Do You Need This Letter?
When employees plan a five-day or longer vacation, they frequently write vacation leave letters. However, you should be mindful of the following reasons for writing and sending this type of letter:
- Providing official approval: You should keep your letter for your records, and your employer should keep a copy in your file as official documentation of your vacation approval. Writing a vacation leave letter may even help you in getting approval for your time off.
- Assisting your supervisor in planning: When your supervisors are aware of your plans ahead of time, they are better able to plan for your absence and collaborate with others to fill in for you.
- Showing professionalism: Vacation leave letters demonstrate that you are thoughtful, thorough, and organized.
What To Include In This Letter
Your vacation letter should include all of the information required for your supervisor or human resources manager to review your request and plan for your absence. Consider putting the following elements:
- Your name, title and contact information
- Recipient’s name
- Purpose of the letter
- Vacation dates, including date of return to work
- Brief description of vacation
- Current project and responsibility status update
- Who will manage your responsibilities while you are away
- Your availability while gone
- The best way to reach you during your vacation
- A final request for approval
How to Write a Leave of Absence Letter for Vacation
You can follow these steps to write a vacation leave letter:
- Step 1: Estimate the number of vacation days you have available.
- Step 2: Plan your vacation, knowing how many vacation days you will need.
- Step 3: Look into where you should send your letter, such as to your direct supervisor or a human resources manager.
- Step 4: Use a vacation leave letter template to write your letter carefully.
- Step 5: Check your letter for spelling and grammar errors.
- Step 6: Send your letter to the appropriate recipients.
- Step 7: If you haven’t received a response after one week, follow up with a friendly email or phone call.
Things To Keep In Mind
Here are some details that you should remember when you draft a vacation leave letter:
- Give ample notice: You should keep your letter for your records, and your employer should keep a copy in your file as legal records of your vacation approval. Writing a vacation leave letter may even help you in getting approval for your time off.
- Keep being professional: Keep in mind that your letter is a formal document that will be kept in your personnel file. Maintain a professional tone and include only personal information relevant to your request. Select a simple font and template.
- Include other approvals: Consider including a written approval for the time off from your direct supervisor if you are writing a vacation leave letter to your human resources department.
- Keep it brief: A vacation leave letter should be no longer than one page. In addition, you want your supervisor or HR manager to focus on the important points rather than the minor details.
Sample and Template
You can use this sample and template to help you craft your own vacation leave letter.
Letter #1: Example Leave of Absence Letter for Vacation
February 17, 2023
Subject: Request for one week vacation
Dear Ms. Carter,
I’m writing to request a week’s vacation. I have nine days of paid vacation time available, five of which I would like to use for this trip. I’ll be gone from March 9 to March 16. I’ll be back to work on Monday, March 18. My husband and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with a Russian cruise.
This week, the Sierra marketing report will be completed, and the Drensan draft will be ready for review before I leave. All other accounts are current. Two weeks before my vacation, I will contact all of my clients. While I am away, I have asked Mike Evans to manage my accounts and communicate with clients as needed.
I will have limited phone and email access while away, but I intend to respond to messages as soon as possible.
Please respond by February 25th so that I can confirm our cruise reservations.
Marketing Account Coordinator
Letter #2: Vacation Leave Letter Template
Date: [Date letter is sent]
Subject: [The subject of your letter]
Greeting: Dear [recipient],
Purpose of your letter: I am writing to [reason for your letter]
Explanation: I have [number] available vacation days and would like to use [number] of them for [type of vacation]. I’ll be gone from [date of departure] to [date of return] and will return to work on [date of return]. [Additional information]
Status Update: My current projects [ status of current projects and duties].
Plan for coverage: While I am away, I have asked [name] to take over [specific responsibilities].
Availability: I will either have or will not have access to communication. I will either respond to messages or will be unable to respond to messages.
Final request for approval: Please respond by [date] so that I can finalize my travel plans.
Signature: [Your Name]
Title: [Your Title]
Phone: [Your phone number]
Leave of Absence Letter For Different Scenarios
- Employees frequently write vacation leave letters when they are planning a five-day or longer vacation.
- Vacation leave letters demonstrate that you are thoughtful, detailed, and organized.
- Keep your leave of absence letter for vacation simple and short.
- Maintain a professional tone and include only personal information relevant to your request. Select a simple font and format.