From taking the attendance of the scouts to cleaning up after a meeting, there are a lot of logistics to be handled during a troop meeting. Some people call these as “tasks”, “chores” or even “agenda items”, but at Girl Scouts it is called “kapers”.
What is a kaper chart?
A kaper chart is a Girl Scout tradition where the responsibilities of the troop is divided. In a kaper chart all the kapers are mentioned along with who is responsible for each kaper . Using a kaper chart from the beginning helps with managing the long-term behaviour of a troop and helps the troop stay organized.
Example Template #1
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #1 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
By displaying, documenting and delegating the different jobs in your troop, you can set the right expectations and avoid any kind of disagreements within the team members. Some chores like cleaning dishes and taking out the trash may not be “fun task” but nevertheless needs to be done. With the kaper chart, it is very transparent how the jobs are being distributed and how the rotation takes place. Your girl can see that every girl gets a chance to do the “fun task” and not “so fun task” as well.
How to make a kaper chart?
You need to first decide on the following:
· Make a list of the tasks: First decide on the tasks you want to include. Make a list of the tasks and write it on a piece of paper so that you can decide how you want these tasks to be handled.
· Group or individually: Once you have listed down the tasks you need to determine whether it can be handled individually or by a group. If it’s a group, then what should be the size of the group? Should it be buddies, patrol or smaller groups?
· The design of the chart: What kind of design or template would you want? Should it be a table, a wheel or a grid? Remember it should be eye catching enough to attract the attention of the girls.
· Rotating the girls: You need to rotate the girls. This is important, so that each and every girl gets to do both the fun task and not so fun task.
Tips for making a good kaper chart template
There is no one particular way to make a kaper chart template. Any chart that clearly shows who is responsible for doing a specific task will be enough. Here is an example of a basic kaper chart.
Example Template #2
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #2 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Example Template #3
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #3 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
This is another example of a simple creative design for a kaper chart template.
However, you can follow some tips to make your kaper chart look fun and interesting.
Involve your girls in designing the kaper chart. Since the duties will be performed by the girls, its best to put their creativity in use.
You can add some fun to the kapers. Whatever the chores may be, try to make them sound interesting and fun. This will make the girls view and perform these jobs with some responsibility. For example, instead of just mention cleaning the trash you can mention “clean-up crew”.
Example Template #4
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #4 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Example Template #5
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #5 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
In this chart, interesting names have been given to the kapers. Example, under Hop-Hostess, the chores include cleaning the dishes of the leader, disposing of food not eaten. While these may not be fun task, but the name Hop-Hostess surely sounds interesting.
Before you assign the roles and responsibilities think about the size and the structure of your Girl Scout meeting. Whether you want to assign the chores to an individual or two girls or a group.
Just because you have assigned a particular kaper to a girl that doesn’t mean she has to complete it all by herself. You can let your girls know that they can delegate a job or ask help form their friends. Working together is always fun.
Kapers for Individual and Group:
Here are some of the suggested kapers for Individuals. This is just a suggestion, you can always use your discretion to assign the task to an individual or a group.
· Opening Snack
· Collect dues
· Start an activity
· Choose a game
· Flag holder or ceremony caller
· Stack chairs and wipe tables
· Business Clean Up
· Take attendance
· Clean up after snack
· Collect paperwork (permission slips)
· Closing the program
· Hand out craft supplies Friendship circle
· Select a song
Suggested kapers for Groups:
Promise and Law
Prepare and distribute snack
Everyone cleans, but these girls make sure it gets done
Choose a game or sing a song
Collect or pass out papers
Hand out supplies which are required for the meeting
How to assign the kapers or chores to your Girl Scout?
There are various methods for doing this. Different team leaders choose different ways of assigning a task. Explaining one such method of assigning the task. You can use popsicles, small paper chits etc to write the name of the task. Put them in a bag or a bowl. When the girls come for the meeting, each girl picks a paper chit from the bowl and that task mentioned in the chit is assigned to her. Remember to mention the name of the girl on the kaper chart as well.
Now that we have learnt sufficient information about a kaper chart, let us look at some fun and interesting kaper chart templates. Hope you will draw some inspiration from these templates.
Example Template #6
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #6 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
1) Use an image of your camp site: Use an image of your campsite on your Kaper chart. It could be an illustration or a real image.
In this image, a beautiful illustration of the campsite along with tents has been used. On each tent the name of the task is mentioned. Next to the tent is a signboard which will have the name of the boy who will be performing the task.
Example Template #7
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #7 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
2) Mention the Girl Scout Promise: It’s always nice to include the Girl Scout Promise in your kaper chart. Every time your girls refer to the chart for the duties they can also refer to the Promise. This will instill a sense of responsibility in them.
Example Template #8
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #8 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Example Template #9
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #9 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
3) A spinning wheel model: Another interesting kaper chart template is a spinning wheel model. You can divide the circle in to the number of tasks you have decided for your Girl Scout. Then each girl takes a responsibility. Remember to explain the meaning of the task you have mentioned in the wheel. For example, “song” is about choosing a song, similarly “games” stand for choosing a game, “closing” is how to close the meeting.
Example Template #10
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #10 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
4) Create a poster: You can organize your Girl Scouts duties and chores with this fun kapers chart poster. It’s a colorful, simple layout with ample of room to mention the name of the scout and the responsibility assigned. This poster is definitely a helpful addition to any girl scouting event. Go ahead and make a colourful poster for your Girl Scout.
Example Template #11
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #11 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Example Template #12
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #12 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
5) Tri-fold card: If you are creative enough, then try out this tri-fold kaper chart template. This is fairly easy to make and looks interesting. You must try this template especially if you have a large group of Girl Scouts. This can accommodate a lot of tasks.
Example Template #13
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #13 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
6) Short and snappy: Not all kaper chart templates need to designed elaborately. You can create small templates or designs to mention the names and assign the jobs accordingly. In this kaper chart template, the design of a key has been used to mention the name and task is assigned alongside of it. It is simple, clear and leaves no room for confusion. Sometimes short and snappy is good.
Example Template #14
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #14 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
7) Use of craft ideas: Remember how we used to do art and craft back in school. Use your art and craft skills to create an attractive kaper chart template. Take help of your girls to create this template. Take a look at this beautiful kaper chart, where flower pots have been created with craft paper. This kaper chart template will surely bring a smile on your girls face whne they see their name printed on these beautiful flower pots.
If you want to further push the boundaries of your creativity, you can create different flower designs like rose, sunflower, lotus etc.
Example Template #15
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #15 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
8) Choose a theme: To design a kaper chart, you can select a theme. Unicorn theme is quite popular and is quite liked by youngsters. If you are looking for a simple and easy idea, yet something that looks attractive then go for this kaper chart template. Unicorn images are easily available on the internet. Print the image you like and create the template accordingly.
Example Template #16
Download Kaper Chart Example Template #16 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
9) Use popsicles: Last but certainly not the least, use popsicles. This is a very common design which is widely used for designing kaper charts. The names are written on the popsicles and the task is mentioned next to it.