Discord is an application based on VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). It functions as a digital distribution platform and an instant messaging app. People on Discord can connect with each other by using many of the application’s features like text messaging, video calling and voice calling. The app also allows its users to share media and files privately.
Although it has multiple uses, Discord is primarily used in the world of gaming. Players can stay in touch, interact and share screens while playing a game together online. Unlike regular game servers, Discord provides an almost lag-free environment which does not hinder the playing experience.
The idea of Discord came from the founder of OpenFient, Jason Citron. This eventually led to the launch of the application in the public domain on May 13, 2015. Since then Discord can be used on multiple platforms like Macintosh, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux and even web browsers. It is now also available in over 30 language settings to cater to Discord’s global audience.
Every user on Discord has a profile page which he / she can customize to their liking. This includes adding a profile picture, an about me section and a banner which is displayed on the top of the page. If you are looking for something cool to use as a banner then this article is for you.
For your Discord banner template, check out these options –
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #1 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #2 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #3 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Why Choose Discord Banner Template
Discord has grown into a massive gaming community across the globe. The application has over 350 million registered users (as per the data in 2021). Around 150 million users are active on the platform every month. With so many people online, you need some special characteristics that set you apart. One way to do this is by keeping a unique and catchy name. But that will not last long as Discord allows multiple users to keep the same name (by using a discord tag).
Then how do you come across as original? There is the option to update your profile picture. But everybody does that. Also, if you want an animated profile picture you will have to pay for Discord Nitro. This leaves you with one simple solution – focus on your profile banner.
You need to understand why downloading a Discord banner template is better than making it on your own. First, creating your own banner from the very beginning will require time and Photoshop skills. Are you willing to invest that extra effort into designing your banner? No, you would rather chat with your friends and play some great games to relax. That’s fair.
Second, are you willing to hire a graphic designer to do that work for you? Probably not. Getting access to a Discord banner is too much work already (you need to reach level 2 with over 15 boosts). Save that money to invest in your gaming gear and enhance your experience.
Having said all this, you do not need to worry about finding the right Discord banner template. This article will give you plenty of good options, like these –
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #4 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #5in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #6 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
What is a Discord Banner
The Discord banner is also known as Server Banner. Users gain the facility to add a banner to their profile once they make it to Boosting level 2. Keeping a unique banner helps members of a community in relating to one another better. Also, it helps your profile or channel stand out in the crowd of millions.
How to Upload a Discord Banner
Once you have reached Boosting level 2 it becomes very easy to upload a server banner to your account. To do this follow these steps –
- Visit the server settings page
- Now click on “overview”
- Keep scrolling down till you reach the option “Server Banner Background”
- Now select the image you want to upload (make sure it is at least 960×540 pixels in resolution. The aspect ratio of the image should be 16:9)
- That’s it! Congratulations, you have a new Server Banner.
Characteristics of a Great Discord Banner Template
When searching for a Discord banner template, you need to keep certain important details in mind. Follow these simple tips and your banner will make your profile truly shine –
- Get your dimensions right – The aspect ratio of your banner is 16:9. This is not a cause of worry as this aspect ratio has become fairly common. Although the minimum resolution allowed by Discord is 960×540, you should use a higher quality image. Resolution quality of 1920×1080 or 2560×1440 will give you a clear and crisp image.
- Understand the alignment – Discord will not display the entire banner on your profile. It has its own design standards. For example, the top 28% of your banner will display your server name and the various option buttons. The lower part of the banner will slowly fade into the gray background of the Discord interface. So if you want to highlight some interesting imagery on your banner then place those elements in the center.
Look at these examples to find your perfect Discord banner template –
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #7 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #8 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #9 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Use of Design and Fonts
Now that you are clear on the requirements of your Discord banner, it is time to move over to the banner itself. The look of your banner will depend on two aspects – the design and the font. When searching for the right Discord banner template keep the following tips in mind.
Not many elements go into a Discord banner design. Still, it is better to know what will work so you can make the most out of your server or profile banner. Make sure you include the following in the design of your banner –
- Use an appropriate image – The term “appropriate” here refers to an image which goes well with the theme of your profile or server. To look for inspiration, think of what games you like to play. In case you are looking for a server banner, consider what the community is about. This will help you in narrowing down your options and finding the perfect image to upload.
- Take the name into consideration – Whether it is your profile name or the name of a community you run on Discord, using an image related to your name is good advice. The reason for this is, your profile or server name will be displayed right at the top of the banner. For example, a username “Racoon” will sound weird if the background banner shows parrots and doves. You get the idea. Do not look for exact images as per your name. Instead go for related images, something inspired by your profile or server name.
- Simplicity is the best policy – There are no strict rules for the type of image you put as your banner. But it is advisable to go easy on the visuals. The Discord interface is dark gray in color and anything too flashy will look out of place. Of course this also depends on the image itself. Bottom line: do some experiments before choosing your profile or server banner. It is better to be sure than sorry.
Here are some interesting options to check for your Discord banner template –
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #10 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #11 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
SourceDownload Free Discord Banner Example Template #12 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #13 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
There isn’t much you need to add in terms of text. The reason for this, as mentioned earlier, is that Discord mentions your username on its own. Still you could mention some details on your banner, like your social media handle. More followers across multiple platforms are always good for business. You could also type a cool quote or catchphrase from your favorite game. Make sure to keep it short (up to a few words only). Discord is infamous for fading out the lower half of your banner. This means you have less space to put both images and text. Use this space smartly.
Now coming to font, there are many styles you can experiment with. Some popular gaming fonts include – Robus, Pinmold, Debug, Sportypo, Uncracked, Plagaurd, Evil Empire, Love Glitch, Space Mission and many more.
When choosing a font for your Discord banner template, remember the golden rule. That rule states you should prioritize readability over style. Some font styles look very good. But they are of no use if you cannot read them. Unless your aim is to sound and appear cryptic, go for a clean font style which can be easily comprehended.
Check out these options to get a better understanding –
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #14 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #15 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #1 6in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Download Free Discord Banner Example Template #17 in JPG, PNG, PSD, and AI Format below:
Conclusion: Dos and Don’ts
Finding the perfect Discord banner template for your profile or server is not that difficult. But first ensure that you have boosted to level 2 in order to become eligible for a banner.
To reiterate some important points, remember to “do” and “not do” the following –
Things to Do –
- Use smart imagery. Keep in mind the content of your profile and community before selecting an image
- Mind the visible area of your banner. Remember, the top portion of your banner will be covered by your username. Meanwhile, the bottom portion of your banner will fade out
Things Not to Do –
- Use too much text. Keep it simple and stick to mentioning your social media handles only
- Use too many images. Do not overload your banner with hundreds of images. Make it look pleasant.